Aspire Personalised Care Solutions has been commissioned by the Council for Disabled Children to deliver Independent Support to parents and young people in the areas of Northumberland, Stockton-on-Tees, Redcar & Cleveland, Middlesbrough and Hartlepool.

What is Independent Support?

The Children and Families Act 2014 has introduced new laws for children and young people who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Under the new laws, local authorities have a duty to replace Statements of Special Educational Need (SEN) with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and publicise a Local Offer of the services and support that is available to parents, carers and young people.

Independent Supporters are available to assist parents and young people as they move through the new EHC planning process.

How can an Independent Supporter help me?

An Independent Supporter can:

  • Act as a named contact through the EHC assessment and planning process.
  • Focus on the main task of helping you to transfer from a statement of SEN to an EHC plan.
  • Support you with a new referral for an EHC needs assessment.
  • Liaise with a range of local services including schools, local authority and health professionals
  • Help you to gather your views and the views of your child or young person to ensure that the EHC needs assessment is person centred.
  • Help you to go through your draft or final EHC before it is signed off.

How will Independent Support be provided by Aspire Personalised Care Solutions?

We will offer support to families and young people through:

Dedicated access to a Referral & Data Coordinator who will ensure you receive they type of support you need.

Face to face support as requested from a trained Independent Supporter who is independent of the local authority. Meetings are held at a time and place to suit you

Parent and carer workshops – delivered through schools, parents forum and groups in the local community.

Click here for a copy of the Independent Support leaflet <— NEEDS LEAFLET ADDING

How do I Request an Independent Supporter?

We accept both personal referrals from parents and young people and professional referrals. Click here to contact us.

Contact us by phone: 0191 3753967 / Freephone 0800 2707437
Contact us by email: